Here at Smallflower, we are definitely niche fragrance fanatics! There’s a special kind of satisfaction that comes from creating a well-curated collection of scents. However, we understand that accumulating lots of fragrance can come with a rather hefty price tag.
If you love experiencing different scents but you don’t feel like shelling out, good news! There are plenty of ways to enjoy a wide variety of exciting fragrances on a budget. Here we’ve collected some useful tips, as well as some of our favorite budget fragrance brands, and our picks for scents at certain price points.
Tips for Fragrance Hunting on the Cheap
Look For Portable Options
Travel sizes or fragrance samples are a great way to get to know a scent that may otherwise be a little outside your preferred price range. Not only will the cost be lower, but you’ll also be able to take these scents on the go with you to freshen up throughout the day.
Change Up the Format
We tend to think of fragrance as a spritz-based medium, but there are other ways to experience scent. Some cost-effective options are perfume oils and solid perfumes. These tend to contain a much more concentrated formula, so you don’t need as much product to smell great all day long! Plus, they’re usually available in smaller, more budget-friendly quantities.
Try a New Concentration
If you check out our guide to niche fragrance, you’ll learn that there are several different concentrations of fragrance available. At the more powerful end of the spectrum we find the Extrait de Parfum and Eau de Parfum, which tend to run more on the expensive side. A less concentrated formula, like an Eau de Toilette or an Eau de Cologne, doesn’t quite have the same strength and staying power, but it will most likely be a more budget-friendly option.
The Best Picks for Every Budget
- Patch NYC Owl Solid Fragrance by Soap + Paper Factory | $18 | Shop Now →
- Eau de Cologne Spray by 4711 | $15 | Shop Now →
- Rose Attar Perfume Oil by Maroma | $16.50 | Shop Now →
- Tobacco Rum Solid Perfume by O’Douds Apothecary | $18 | Shop Now →
5. The Inner Wanderlust Trade Routes Fragrance Set by Penhaligon’s | $48 | Shop Now →
6. Pivoine & Rhubarbe 1902 Eau de Toilette by Berdoues | $40 | Shop Now →
7. 1899 Eau de Parfum by Histoires de Parfums | $35 | Shop Now →
8. Yesterday Haze Eau de Parfum Travel Spray by Imaginary Authors | $38 | Shop Now →
9. Cannabis Perfume Oil by Malin + Goetz | $52 | Shop Now →
10. 1805 Eau de Cologne by Truefitt & Hill | $75 | Shop Now →
11. Chypress Eau de Toilette by Floris | $80 | Shop Now →
12. Black Flower Mexican Vanilla Eau de Parfum by Dame Perfumery | $85 | Shop Now →
Our Favorite Affordable Brands
This English fragrance and personal care brand specializes in fine goods with a reasonable price tag.
Incredibly lifelike and unique scents paired with an affordable cost has won Demeter many lifelong fans.
A Smallflower favorite for their potent formulas, wide range of alluring scents, and sub-$10 prices.
Another widely popular pick for highly concentrated fragrance oils, Nemat offers a range of warm, internationally inspired scents for a bargain.
Long one of our best-selling brands, Outremer exudes the glamour and sophistication of their Parisian fragrance house without setting you back more than $25.
This indie French perfumery creates unique “soft perfumes” — creamy solid scents packaged in travel-friendly tubes with stunning designs.
Thanks for checking out our budget-friendly fragrance guide! If you’d like to learn more about niche fragrance, we recommend checking out our beginner’s guide here. If you’re looking for some insider tips on getting the most out of your fragrance, check out our chat with Tanja and Sharmane here.